Today FM Show Pages: Dempsey | D'arcy | Foley | Fenton | Last Word | McCloone | TodayFM.com

unclean thoughts…

Poor old double-S. People were forwarding this tweet (below) on to me the minute she sent it (probably because they know I’m a perv) but according to the paper, she’s been getting some stick from the sad bastard complaining types about it.

We tried ringing her today but she was in the middle of some news-talkin’ work so I was rebuffed by a Seoige. Again.

Screen shot 2011-03-24 at 19.16.10

But I can’t believe the reaction to this. I mean, it’s a slighty rude turn of phrase to show one’s appreciation of something. Isn’t it in our dialogue? I say it all the time, but then I’m a filthmonger. I suppose when a mass-goin’ god'-fearin’ caileen-awlinn’ says it, then it’s a whole different ballgame.

As I said last week on air about the guy who sent the email of complaint about us to The Ray D’arcy Show, then sent it on to us with the preface “This is the email I sent to Ray D’arcy about your show”: there’s a type. A very small but very vocal type who feel they represent “the people of Ireland” and the need to express that perceived representation as loudly as they can. In my experience, “the people of Ireland” have more to be doing than sending bitchy tweets and emails in the middle of the night. In my experience, we’re funny, smart, daft, cheeky, easy-going people on the whole who would read that tweet as something to have a laugh about.

But you’ll always have the type. And if you spend your life catering for or worrying about that type, then you’ll be a pandering, safe, middle-of-the-road floral wallpaper merchant with no opinions or passion. And who wants to be [insert name here]?

In fairness, from her second tweet, it doesn’t look like she’s letting it get to her.

But I will be writing an email of complaint to Ray D’arcy anyway.

Ray

7 Comments:

  1. Dec said...
    Rant over??? Bravo, Ray, Bravo... Screw the gobshites with an obvious lack of a sense of humour.. Honestly who is worse the minority people who feel they "must" complain or the vast majority who like a laugh and take in the context it was meant! By the way Síle... I sooooo would
    Annie said...
    Well said Ray, I caught some of your show today while u were trying to phone Sile. I didnt know what shed said so naturally thought shed tweeted something outrageous and offensive judging by the commotion. When I later looked it up on Twitter I thought 'holy crap, Ireland Is still in the dark ages if ppl are shocked by this'. If Sile wants to come at Kylie's concert then fair play to her. Fuck beige people, they should put their misdirected energy into a worthier cause than knocking a poor young wan for only tryin to have a bit of craic.
    Annie said...
    I still wouldnt by the way. Maybe Kylie.
    2nd Class Room I said...
    This comment has been removed by the author.
    Cheryl said...
    Good girl Sile, shur you were only havin' the craic!
    CD said...
    Great show Friday Ray, brilliant brilliant radio with Síle baby. I take it when you said [insert name here] in relation to safe DJs you were referring to Phil Cawley and many many others, 98 etc! He's not the worst on Friday Night 80s though
    AAA said...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gkIiV6konY&feature=related

Post a Comment